Saturday, July 24, 2004

Fevered Imaginings

October the 20th 1889, the Thames estuary. The sea mist hung heavy on the land, the rising sun struggled to be seen. The gentle sound of oars the only noise beside the early morning squawking and chattering of the sea birds.

A small ruggedly built rowing boat appeared in view, expertly manoeuvred into one of the myriad creeks of the estuary marshes. The boat neared the rudely built landing stage. The hooded figure within threw me the rope, which I hastily knotted to a piling. I offered my hand to the figure, he declined and deftly climbed onto the walkway.
The figure stood little more than five foot tall, with the appearance of a stocky build. Though this was impossible to tell as the figure was clad in a hooded gown. Another aspect of this figure compelled me to revulsion, an odour emanated from the figure. It was an odour that led a mans instincts to tell him to flee, but I had to hold firm.
"Pluss shurr, coom viff me" the figure commanded in an unearthly tongue.
"Show yourself to me" I responded in what I hope was a composed manner.
The figures hood was removed. At this point all composure left me. The removal of the hood revealed an abomination against nature, for this figure was no man. The face was that of a nightmarish creature amphibian in nature. I drew my pistol and fired three times into what I hoped was its chest. The creature emitted a shriek primeval in its vileness, at this point it slipped into the brackish water of the estuary and was lost to this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home